Monty Barrett passed away

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Morphewb, Jul 7, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Jul 7, 2018 #1

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

For anyone who doesn't know, Monty Barrett passed away yesterday in Tulsa. Heard there will be a private service in Shawnee and, after OSH, Rhonda and Allen will let everyone know the date of a memorial service they will hold in Tulsa. Sorry if this has already been posted.

Monty had been working on his own Model 12. Most of us know who Monty is but for those who don't he was one of the first guys who started a custom aircraft engine overhaul shop for GA and Experimental airplanes. Monty, along with Kevin Kimball, worked on and perfected fuel system and ignition modifications for the M14P/PF radial engines.

If anyone has other details or Monty stories please post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
  2. Jul 7, 2018 #2

jrs14855

jrs14855

jrs14855

Ben thanks for posting, I had not heard the bad news previously. Monty was a class act, In my opinion the best engines in the industry as well as a real airplane builder.

Morphewb likes this.
  3. Jul 8, 2018 #3

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Sorry to hear that.
    Danny 007

4. Jul 8, 2018 #4

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Registered Users

Sad news indeed. Monty helped me several times when I had engine questions or needed a part in a hurry. I loved going to his shop when I would be in Tulsa and sit with him in the test cell running engines. He will truly be missed.

5. Jul 9, 2018 #5

kjkimball

kjkimball

kjkimball

Been there...Done that... Lifetime Supporter

Update:

Funeral Services for Monty Barrett will be Wednesday, July 11th at 11 am at Walker’s Funeral Home, Shawnee, OK.

Tentative date for Monty's memorial service in Tulsa is August 12th at the Tulsa Air and Space Museum. More on this as details are firmed up.

Rhonda Barrett Bewley and Allen Barrett will both be at Oshkosh in the Barrett Engines booth. Those of you going to the show can stop by, say hi and give a hug.

EAABipe40FF likes this.
  6. Jul 9, 2018 #6

rgbewley

rgbewley

rgbewley

If anyone is planning on flying in, here is a link to Shawnee Regional Airport.

http://www.shawneeairport.com/

Transportation services from the airport to the services will be provided at the thoughtfulness of Aircraft Specialties Services. Please check with the FBO for contact information upon arrival.