• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

More Eagle wing rigging info and thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarker

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent another day really trying to dial in the Eagle wing rigging and came up with some things.

1. Tensioned all the wires to 20 ft/lbs on the Holloway tool. Also checked the 50 lb. stretch. It was a bit over 3/4 inch. The Eagle book calls for 1 1/4 inch, but they always seemed to loose. I am going with the Holloway measurement.

2. Three longs days really trying to get the rigging exact. Started using both the Eagle method with levels and also rigging boards. After going back and forth many times, finally decided (like some have said) that the rigging boards and using the Doug Sowder method is very accurate. We found it amazing what you eye can really see, after comparing with digital levels on top of the rigging boards. Your eyes can see .1 degree.

Right now my issue is that the top wing is absolutely perfect -- flat and zero incidence. But both bottom wings are a bit nose down. We added washers to the aft of the bottom wings ----- but it did not move the bottom wings down, but moved the upper wing trailing edge up. We did this back and forth a couple times, always the same result.
Any ideas? ---- non of the books or forum comments mention this.
Thoughts?
thanks
Mark

Latest posts

Back