• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

MT FP Prop for sale - 200HP?

MNForrest

Reaction score
I have a MT MT186R145-4G prop for sale.

It was previously used on my 200HP S1-S. Recently purchased by Dan Peters (petersdj on here) and tested on his 180HP Pitt's. It was too much prop. He got 2,100 rpm static and 2,700 WOT level. Although, Dan did comment that it turned smoother than his metal prop he was attempting to replace.

Not sure of the hours on the prop. Prior to Dan's test, it was at MT for some minor repairs, and not used in several years. Previously flown in Advanced on my S-1S by Phil Schacht - who took exceptionally good care of everything.

Metal leading edges and no RPM restriction.

The prop is still at Dan's place in Colorado. He also has the mounting hardware from MT available, that may be for sale at a small discount from the MT pice.

I had originally speculated that this would be a good prop for a strong 180hp mount, but it loos like it is truly a 200hp prop.

$800 plus shipping. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Forrest

Last edited:

Tomcat

Reaction score
So I'm not familiar with deciphering MT's model number, do you know the length and pitch?

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
186 should be the length in cm. So that's 73.25" long. Can't be much help with the pitch.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Use the same math on the second number. 73.25x58.

Forrest

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I may be interested in your prop after the holidays. Feel free to drop me an email or call sometime in January if you still have it available. Thanks, Brian. [email protected].

MNForrest

Reaction score
Will do Brian, thanks. Let me know if you have questions.

petersdj

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'd like to reiterate what Forrest said about the smoothness. I'm running a metal Sensenich now that was balanced about 5 years ago. The difference was night and day between the two props. I felt no vibration at any RPM using the MT where the balanced Sensenich shakes the fillings out of my molars. I considered buying higher compression pistons just to keep this prop.

I have a 1" spacer, crush plate, and bolts from Saber that have one flight on them. The spacer is actually an adapter from the shorter lugs to the longer lugs needed for the wood hub. This setup allows you to swap props without installing new lugs into the crank flange. I'll let the setup go for $300 (paid $460 for it).

Dan

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please send me a PM. I'm very interested in this prop for my good friends RV-8.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Bumping this thread. Prop is still for sale. Awesome prop.

Make an offer.

Forrest

lanceav8r

Reaction score
When you say 200hp was yours an angle valve engine? I have a pumped up 180 that the builder claims that it should be at least 210.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Yes, mine was a stock compression, balanced, polished AEIO-360-A1A.

lanceav8r

Reaction score
I have the parallel valve engine but with 9:1 pistons and cold air induction. I haven't ran it yet however. Seems like it should push 200hp. What rpm did you get static and wot with your engine?

Sent from my iPad using Biplane Forum

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi Forrest,
I'm ready to buy a prop now for my 180 HP O-360 Acroduster Too. I've done as much research as you can imagine, and the Catto is the way to go on my moderate budget if buying new. Having said that I still can't help but think your 73 x 58 MT would be a good match on paper. I know the results you mentioned with the 180 hp pitts, and I was curious about the data. 2100 static to 2700 WOT seems like a very wide spread. Was the Pitts being run at a high density altitude environment? Feel free to call or email, as I have not laid out my Catto deposit yet. Thanks,

Brian. 989-916-5480

MNForrest

Reaction score
I think it was run static at about 5,000 msl, so, yes that would have some impact. On my 200hp (maybe a bit more) Pitts it made about 3,300 WOT 165 mph indicated 3,000 msl. No static numbers. Dan's friend is about to give it a test run at high MSL again on his 200+ HP (sea level) ship. If he does not like it, It will be up for sale again, and we will have another set of numbers to compare. Stand by...

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
Any results yet on the run? I may zing down to Sun and Fun to see see what the manufacturers are offering. I'm still leaning Catto, but yours on paper seems like the correct prop. I noted you were running pretty high rpm at 200 hp (not a bad thing in mho for competition). If I could get 2800 I'd be fine with that for my needs.

MNForrest

Reaction score
Minor delay with Steve testing his setup Brian. I'd say if you find one you like buy it. I'll let you know as soon as I do how it goes in Denver.

paulie1161

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in this prop for my Pitts. Can you call me 306 641 5464

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know the prop was sold, but did you ever hear back what kind of performance he got? Just curious. Thanks

Latest posts