• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

My Acrosport is Flying, but has a Heavy Left Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
20080903_094733_Acrosport_II.JPG
Well, I flew commercially from KY to FL last weekend to ferry back the Acrosport II that I bought down there. It flies great, except for a heavy left wing. I did have a little trouble with landings. Not being able to see the runway took a little bit to get used to. Stalls are very predictable. Cruise speed at 2350RPM, with a 76x56 prop (supposedly) and an O-360 A3A was about 110mph indicated. The GPS showed about 125mph. I was later cruising at 2500 RPM, indicating 125mph, and the GPS showed 139mph in the dead calm, late afternoon. I'm thinking that the prop doesn't really have a 56" pitch.Overall, I'm tickled to death with it.

As I said above, it has a heavy left wing. When we checked the incidence of the wings, squareness of everything,leveled the longerons, leveled the airplane side to side, etc. everything was square within 1/8", and all of the wing incidences were the same within .5 degrees.Originally, the airplane had about a 1.25" thick shim under the left rear I-strut bolt to take care of a heavy left wing. Right now, I have about a 7/8" thick stack of washers under that same I-strut bolt, and I think it could stand another 1/8" or so. This just doesn't sound rightto me. What else should I check? How much shim domostAcrosports take to get tofly straight?

Latest posts

Back