• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

My Rib Jig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTChris

Reaction score
After seeing the other thread about the jig for no nails I thought I would share my jig for my wagabond.
It uses plexiglass for the top, bottom and all the blocks. The T-88 won't stick to it, no nails, no staples. Just assemble the rib, top and bottom gussets, then put the top on and let it set overnight, then you lay the top down and slide the jig over top of it and it "pops" the completed rib out.
th_Wagabond018.jpg

here is the jig, the bolts are what hold the top on.

th_Wagabond033.jpg

assemble the rib, everything fits nice and snug.

th_Wagabond016.jpg

when all your pieces are in place, put the top on and wing nuts clamp everything together.
th_Wagabond017.jpg

top and bottom are lined with plexi, the stop blocks are all 1/4" plexi.
th_IMG_20130113_203231.jpg

th_IMG_20130113_203311.jpg

th_IMG_20130113_203245.jpg

when the glue has dried, you remove the top, lay it down so the dowels face up, then take the rib still in the jig and "pop" it down on the dowels, you can see that the dowels stick up about 1/4" through the jig and hit on the gussets. The rib just pops right out, no nails or staples to pull, ready for sanding and the jig is ready for the next rib.
Wish this was my idea but I got it from Mike Finney, you have all read about him and his award winning clip wing cub lately, he was nice enough to show me how to build this jig and as he says " Nails are a terrible thing to do to wood"
Making ribs in this jig is down right fun, no wax paper or adjustments, just put your gussets and capstrip in, put the top on and it does all the work for you.
Any questions feel free to ask, if you need better pictures don't hesitate.

Chris

Latest posts

Back