• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Nagging EAB as LSA question....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marl

Reaction score
Guys----

I've had a nagging question about EAB planes used as LSA----specifically about the initial certification of a plane...

We've had a BUNCH of discussion on the forum about various planes and their status as a possible LSA.....the Acrosport, Buddy and Baby Lakes, etc..... On paper, quite a few biplanes (including the Pitts S1 series) are close to meeting the spec.....usually the stall speed issue is the one that is questionable.....

Here's the rub, as I see it.......the "Sport Pilot Rule" is pretty specific about the fact that the plane must meet the requirements "as originally certified" and then be operated withing those parameters continuously (ie, it cannot be modified outside the parameters and then returned to them later to fly as an LSA----OR, it cannot be modified if outside the spec to comply and then be flown as an LSA)-----SO---if you build a Pitts S-1"x" or Acrosport I or ????? and get it "certified" to start phase 1 flight testing------when you start testing the stall speeds, you find that is stalls too fast.........now, can you add vortex generators, etc.....that will be a permanent part of the wing.... to bring the stall down under the limit and then fly the plane as an LSA----or are you out of luck because it has to be modified from it's "as originally certified" form and, thus, excluded?? Or---is the design not frozen until the Phase I testing is complete and the plane enters Phase II with a logbook endorsement???

Now---I know that it is one of those things that some folks would say to just "doctor" the paperwork and forget it and fly----but I'm a little afraid that the FAA might not be very happy if they were to find out down the road.

I've asked this question in several places/formats-----but have never received an answer that seemed to be based on facts or real knowledge of the rules from the FAA viewpoint-----so, if I've asked it before-----please forgive me......but, I think it is a valid, concerning issue for us especially since we have so many older designs available in our "field" that might (but might not!!) meet the specs----and several members of our forum that are trying to build to meet the rule without much guidance from the designer----or the FAA....

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back