• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Need a new exhaust for an S-1S...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The right exhaust stack separated from the airplane yesterday while in flight. The break occurred right below where the individual stacks merge, so what's lost is the down portion to which the straight stack fastens. Both cylinders were exhausting into the cowl through the same hole out of the piece that remained intact. No damage to the plane from the piece that fell off and no reports on the news of any damage on the ground. (I was over a pretty large forest at about 5K when it happened.) I was very close to a friend's airport so just throttled back and made an uneventful precautionary landing. The airplane's stuck there in his hangar until I get a replacement installed.

Any recommendations on where to purchase a replacement? The airplane is a very stock experimental, fitted with an O-360 A4A with a Bendix PS5C carb.

When I removed the portion of the exhaust system that remained on the plain, I noticed abrasion marks on both the stack and the cowl; evidence that the stack had come into contact withe cowl. Not sure how long that was going on; maybe just momentary as the marks all appeared to be very recent, but helped me realize that there's not much room between the stack and the cowl, meaning the new stack will have to be precisely made in order to ensure a good fit that doesn't rub. I plan to send the portion that I removed from the engine to whomever I contract with to weld up the new system, so they'll be able to precisely match the curves that will be required in order to provide the necessary clearance.

If they have the piece that I send them, is the manufacture of the remaining portion fairly straight-forward? What I mean is, if they get the curve right so it clears the cowling properly, is there enough room as the down portion exits beneath the cowling that if they don't make it exactly as it was before, is there a little margin for error? In other words, does the manufacture of the down portion have to be as precise as the curved portion in order to fit and exit the cowl without rubbing anywhere.

I'm hoping there is someone out there who makes Pitts exhaust systems on a regular basis and who will know more about it than I do. Does anyone out there have a picture/diagram or part number for the right hand exhaust manifold and tail pipe that I can refer to when I contact someone to build up the replacement?

Is anyone on this forum familiar with Experimental Aircraft Exhaust, Inc. out of
Fargo, ND? From an Internet search, it appears they may be the folks to go to.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Rick Rice
Collierville, TN
901-489-7941

Latest posts

Back