• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need help locating a Spinner

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The spinner I have is a 10" diameter by 14" long but cut for the IVO prop so not usable for the Sensenich I am putting on. I have been unable to locate another spinner that size but really like the looks. Anyone have an idea where I can find another. It is a bullet shape with the same diameter going forward from the back plate for about 4"s. I like the looks so am looking another one but have had no luck at all. Everything I have found at that diameter is shorter and has a steeper/sharper slope from the back plate to the nose tip. Any ideas, is it maybe off an older Apache or Aztec? It sorta looks like that style.

Thanks,
L

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'll forward via PM the number of a friend who has a spinner cut for a Sensenich propeller. Diameter is 12" and 13' long from tip to backplate. It is primed, yellow tagged, and ready to go. It came off an O-320.

-Glenn

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks already, it is aluminum. Here is a side profile. Glenn I bought a 12" dia. that was nice and polished but it was too large. The starter bump on the nose bowl interferes with the 12" back plate.

L

185633.jpg

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same starter bump issue with my 12" spinner so I used a starter without the forward support bearing and took the bump off the cowl. Probably not a change you are wanting to make, but I used the ACS BN-3 spinner.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You might need a prop space and a PA-28 spinner that starts the back plate well forward of the crankshaft flange.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well the bump can go, not a large problem as I already rebuilt it where the starter gear had wore through. So taking it off is not a big problem but I think I just have to find where the spinner I have came from. I will continue my quest for awhile yet.

L

chef

Registered Users
Reaction score
It's probably off a Citabria. I have a similar one.ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1403526778.276721.jpgImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1403526943.991460.jpg
I got mine from a friend, so, unfortunately, I can't provide a source. I was lucky to get it without cut outs so I could fit it to my prop. I have a 1 inch prop extension and a lightweight starter that eliminates the starter bump.

Clemens

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes yes yes, I would be glad to take that one off your hands Chef! :p

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok still in the market for a 10" dia. X 14" long spinner. I have a 12" dia. X 14" long aluminum spinner for sale, it just won't work and nor will the old one cut for the IVO. I have spent the last two nights trying to come up with a solution to use the old one. Anything that will work will require major surgery and I just don't want to go down that path. So looking for a 10" to 10 &1/2" dia. X 12" to 14" long or there abouts anyway.

biplanebob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aircraft Spruce spinner kit p/n : BN-2 is close to the correct diameter: at 9 and 7/8", length is a little short at 11 and 1/8".

Bob

acroguy

Registered Users
Reaction score
I just pulled this prop and spinner off my Pitts to replace with a Catto 3 blade.

I don't know if it will work as I'm sitting at home and not at the hangar but I'm pretty sure it's either 10 or 10.5" diameter. Prop is a Sensenich.

IMG_0677.jpg

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
PM sent. Love the look and that is one good looking Pitts. Hope this works, I am at a loss as to what I do have.

L

Reaction score
You probably won't like my suggestion but here it is anyway. You have old style wheel pants. They look great on the Miniplane. A pointy spinner doesn't go with those pants as well as an old style pacer/tri pacer blunt looking spinner. Those spinners are everywhere and already fit a metal sensinich.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I know of which you speak but it had the bullet shaped spinner on it and I fell for it that way. I have considered selling these pants and going with a more modern version. I am thinking someone with a Champ might lust after these. But they are mounted and I just don't care for the spinner you refer too. :eek: I may have (hope so) a lead on the spinner I'm looking for, waiting for measurements.

L

Reaction score
Thats cool. Its your ship. I wouldn't change out those wheel pants if it were my airplane. Many of the '60's era miniplanes had them and they fit the airplane well.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks KT, my thoughts exactly. I don't know much, but I know what I like.

L

Latest posts