• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Need help with choices- yes its one of those posts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowryaviation

Registered Users
Reaction score
Ello, all. I need help. and Yes its the same question everyone else asks, but I will do so more thoughly.

First backround. I have built two aircraft before of wood, and I repair and rebuilt piper style tube and fabric aircraft as a hobby/ part-time buisness.
I am under 40 and over twenty. And have a very understanding wife. - and a minimum of expenses and debt.- SO which one to build Acrosport II, Starduster Too, acroduster or Skybolt.

I Must have two place,grass field useage, and be able to double as cross country- (some Light IFR ) and weekend acro aircraft.

I want to use 200hp or less for economy so 0-320 or 0-360. and want plus size pilots to fit ( greater than 170lbs anyway) so that I can give rides to full sixe adults.I want open cockpit or single canopy (covering two holes ) capabilty so I can switch it around if needed.

I do not plan on winning any competitions however, patty wagstaf lives nearby.. so I can try to get in the mood for some neat stuff.

What I know and think so far. ( right or wrong.) Starduster Too is bigger, little slower and less capable on the acro side, but may be better for travel. I know or understand very little on the acroduster so comments are welcome. Acrosport II seems to be ok all round and has the option of lower power, and is perhaps a good mid range compormise. Skybolt can run better outside with that airfoil and the delta wing three piece would be the best choice of it. - I could run high power if I hit the lottery and want a 540.

SO. ! If I was to use one plane for the useage above? which one.? I fully anticipate needing one as a good balance of travel, economy and acro ability, and if for some reason I get the bug to flip and fly professionally may need to build a second craft for hard air work.

to summ up.. skybolt seems a more serious acroplane than travel plane.

Starduster too is nice and big ( we like big planes!) and may not do an outside anything ever. ( as far as I can tell)

so the acrosport II or Acroduster may be the best midrange choice.

Please advise!!- there is only so much reserch a man can do before the brain melts.

I sincerely appreciate the experince and intent of this forum and look forward to being a member of the community. - also if you are in the north florida GA area, I will happily by fuel food and beers to get a ride the helps me decide.

Thank you all - Marshall.

Latest posts

Back