• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New builder questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acromafia

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for asking questions that are likely answered many times over and buried here in the forums somewhere (although I've been unsuccessful locating them).
I am going to build a Skybolt. I currently own and fly a Vans RV8 which I did not build. I only expect to build one aeroplane in my lifetime (I'm pushing 50), and have always wanted to own a biplane. I have vacillated between the Pitts, Acroduster, Christen Eagle and the Skybolt. Every time I come back to the Skybolt. The flying qualities, ground handling, lines, and three-part top wing always draw me in. Before I pony up for plans, I want to chase away the last few 'building demons' that are telling me 'no'. I've never built anything like an aeroplane before, but am pretty handy - I rarely hire a tradesperson for stuff around the house. And I can follow instructions. I am based in Australia, so freight is an absolute killer.
1. Is the Skybolt an achievable build for a first-time builder?
2. (Related to 1) There are options with Steen to buy a pre-fab fuse, cabane, landing gear, etc. I wouldn't know MIG from TIG from Gas from stick (ok, I can stick weld but it looks like bird ****). Is it an exercise in futility and frustration to source the stock locally and fabricate my own fuse from plans, or should I buy pre-fab?
4. What are the must-have tools (think 'rivet gun' for an RV)?
5. Is a single 19'x9' garage doable for component parts?
6. What is the typical build order (wings>fuse>FWF>avionics>finishing, etc.)?
7. Has anyone with no engine experience safely re-built an IO360 or IO540?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back