New Charger

Discussion in 'Marquart Charger' started by Knight Twister, Dec 14, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 14, 2017 #1

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Spent an extremely cold day yesterday getting my friends new Charger ready for a ferry flight home. Its a beauty built by Marvin Stohler of Hagerstown, IN. Last flown in 2010. The engine and airframe is 140 hours ~ with four new Lyc cylinders and all new parts when built. We got her ready to go and now we are waiting for the wx to be a little more kind for the 180 mile ferry flight to Leitchfield, KY. If anybody is interested I will post some detail shots when we get her home. Lots of clever ideas and workmanship. Chargers are special.

IMG_20171213_125917488.jpg

smizo, Dennis5678, RickRice and 5 others like this.
  2. Dec 14, 2017 #2

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

Brrrr!
    I admire your penguin like, open cockpit initiative.
    I am sure lots of folks (including me) would enjoy seeing some photos, of the trip and of course the airplane detail.

Please have a safe flight.
    Watch out for test flights of a sleigh, I hear there's been some repairs and speed mods done this year. Mainly to get packages delivered on time.

Dennis5678 and jpr like this.
  3. Dec 14, 2017 #3

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Always interested in pics. Stay warm...

Dennis5678 likes this.
  4. Dec 14, 2017 #4

Mong

Mong

Mong

I first met Marvin Stohler in the 90's when he was re-covering the Yarger Varmint. Yes the Charger is very nice....Have a good flight..!!!!

5. Dec 14, 2017 #5

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Thats interesting Ed. Marvin is in his early nineties and is done flying. He wanted to come out to the hangar yesterday when we were working but it was miserably cold and the wind was howling. He is having trouble with short term memory but he told us intricate details of building the Charger. He started it at age 58 and finished it at 70. When we go back I want to spend more time with him. Very active EAA chapter of real homebuilts and that Hagerstown airport is very cool. 4000 ft x 200 wide of manicured sod. Hangar rent 50 to 75 a month.

6. Dec 14, 2017 #6

AaronS

AaronS

AaronS

Registered Users

Love it...

7. Dec 14, 2017 #7

planebuilder

planebuilder

planebuilder

Registered Users

Just a thought, if you get to talk to Marvin again, think about recording the conversation. It would be great to have an audio recording or video of the builder telling about the plane for future owners.

8. Dec 14, 2017 #8

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Seconded! As a zero-time builder, I'm interested in any anecdotes I can get of Charger building. Plus, of course, any photos you can share.

Dennis5678 likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2017 #9

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

How long has it been since the engine has run. I would be wary of fuel problems, certainly not a stopper but I would want to have confidence in the fuel delivery.

10. Dec 14, 2017 #10

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

I mentioned long cold day. First we started by draining the fuel and checking for contamination. All strainers and screens were checked. Then we checked flow with fresh fuel from each fuel valve position. The fuel inlet strainer and float bowl were checked. The airplane was run twice a year and last year Mark Gilmore who built the Oshkosh grand champion Charger(Gilmore Red Lion) installed the desired Bellville washers on the gear in addition to running the airplane up for Marvin. We didn't expect the 93 year old builder to sign for our work from his house. We are A&P mechanics and are confident in our preparation for the ferry flight. For you fans of long distance flying this ship holds 40 gals. fuel. All anybody can do for the dreaded Lycoming cam going flat is cross your fingers. Its the same for everybody in that regard.

11. Dec 14, 2017 #11

Mong

Mong

Mong

Kevin, Marvin took me for a ride off that strip in his cute little Vagabond he had then. He was also restoring a Big Stinson I think....If you think of it, tell him I now own the Fred Lucas Varmint...Have a good trip.....ED

12. Dec 14, 2017 #12

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Will do Ed. We are hoping to go back next week. Marvin's hangar is a treasure trove. There is Stinson parts there along with a Fairchild 24W. I was drooling over the Warner engine disassembled sitting on the shelf. (Warner Fairchild has a new home) Marvin built two Sonerai's and he has a Sonex about 80% complete sitting there. I'm taking a wad of cash with me as I want to add to my parts hoard. Marvin loves talking airplanes so I hope I get some time to visit.

13. Dec 14, 2017 #13

planebuilder

planebuilder

planebuilder

Registered Users

"Mark Gilmore who built the Oshkosh grand champion Charger(Gilmore Red Lion)"
    I went back and looked at that plane a few times one year at Oshkosh, it's BEAUTIFUL!
    Any of you Charger guys (Ian) who don't know it, look it up, he set the bar really high! It would be great inspiration for any builder.:)

14. Dec 14, 2017 #14

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

That Gilmore Charger is BEAUTIFUL! didn’t it suffer a off field landing on the way home from OSH?

15. Dec 14, 2017 #15

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I haven't ever seen many pictures (and haven't seen it in person), but it did land on a roadway and clipped the wing on a sign. Many vows to rebuild, though that was the last I heard. I hope they were successful getting it rebuilt, the damage didn't sound too bad.

16. Dec 14, 2017 #16

planebuilder

planebuilder

planebuilder

Registered Users

Man, I hope not!

Red Lion Charger.jpg

Dennis5678 and Kiwi like this.
  17. Dec 15, 2017 #17

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Rick-CAS

Registered Users

Kevin, Nice looking Charger. A 180 mile trip in December in an open cockpit biplane is no big deal been there done and that. My first leg was 180 miles the first 100 was over a solid undercast. Would I do it again maybe. Your right the Charger is special.

18. Dec 15, 2017 #18

freerangequark

freerangequark

freerangequark

Mostly harmless. Lifetime Supporter

Safe travels!!!

19. Dec 15, 2017 #19

Neil

Neil

Neil

The Charger with the off airport landing was not the Gilmore lion. I think the airplane in question was from somewhere out west.

20. Dec 15, 2017 #20

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

that was n171mc landing near Fernley Nevada due to fuel problems on the way home from Osh to Groveland California.
    Nice looking Charger you have there, Have safe travels. Plz add as many pics as you can, we all can live viciously thru other folks having fun too
    Terry