• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Firebolt project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonanzadrv

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

hey guys

I am the proud new owner of a firebolt project. I understand the issues with the firebolt being heavier and if I was going to build a NEW plane it would be a skybolt, however this project was to nice to pass up.

It is just the fuse and engine so I will be building wings from scratch, so i know there will be lots of questions there.

But the wings are a ways off. Right now I am trying to put together a game plan on what needs to be done. (a bit hard since the plane is not here yet.)

To start I am researching the mods that McKenzie made to the skybolt. I know some are good others are bad. This I know so far:

-nose bowl: It is the firebolt stlye.

-Landing gear: It has grove spring gear. I know we could talk about the gear for weeks but I am sure that with practice I will be able to make good landings on spring gear.

-Canopy: It will be the firebolt stlye This has been started and lots of the parts are made for it. I have some friends who have built several airplanes. Hoping for there and your help with this tricky build. (help Randy!!!)

-Elevator trim system: I will plan on making this more like the skybolt system which I understand to have much less slop.

Thats all I know so far. If you guys can add to my list of things to look for it will be a great help. Once I get the project in my garage I will post some pics and you guys and girls (don't want to leave colleen out) can help with some head sctraching to figure out where some of these parts go.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to being a big part of this forum (Thanks John)

Bill

Edited by: bonanzadrv

Latest posts

Back