• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New flight helmet design - naming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. Name chosen, thanks to all for ideas on here but unless something else jumps out at me in the next short while its all go on this one.
Just finished testing new composite shell layups, so we now have a defined material to use.
Comms are sorted and ready to go.
Just working on visor mechanisms currently, which is probably the most difficult part of the process and not something I want to get wrong as the visor tool is very, very expensive.
Things are going well and I took a big punt recently and quit my job to devote more time to the project, which I haven't been able to do in the past.

Aheadset

Man, those were some great comments. Just like stuff from the squadron log books lol!

Progress is coming along. I have three new prototypes currently being made to determine final sizing with 99% of the all the design work done. The new visor mechanism and visor is complete short of a couple of very small tweaks.

Things are shaping up well to be in production early next year (possibly late this year if the stars align) if we can draw together the funds for the tooling now.

I am very happy as to how things are proceeding but its still a case of biting off reasonable sized chunks without over committing financially, trying to finances my Pitts rebuild at the same time so I need to be careful in which direction the funds get siphoned.

Kudo's to you, your venture has failure written all over it, so your approach is all the more important. I, for one, am watching because of canopy clearance, or lack of, in Miss Smith. Right now I am restricted to leather and will probably be for life, I'm just to tall from my ass to the top of my head. Evan borrowed a Clarity Aloft to try before committing to it or the Halo.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Larry 😨 Canopy clearance is of prime importance to me also given that I'm 6'2" and own an Pitts S1, I'm working on a solution here.
I was flying with our comms solution (ANR) in a Yak-3 the other day and it was crystal clear even with the Allison 8' from my head. I fly a P&W powered 450 Stearman for joyrides and its great in that and also in the S2A a couple of days back.

same problem in the S1T. I took a bonehead sky dive helmet, cut two ovals in each side, disassembled my trusty Telex 50d and hung the ear pieces on each side. Lots of clearance and better than cloth or mesh.

I ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1439170893.675741.jpg

Latest posts

Back