• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New flight helmet design - naming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome.

How about:

Enigma
Enigma Unplugged

Axiom
Axiom Unplugged

Bushido (Code of the Samurai, way of the warrior )

Kabuto (Samurai Helmet)

I like what was mention before with Mercury. Pain to get out of your skin and will send you nuts though!

Taipan - slick, smooth and deadly. Will kill you in an instant like the machines we fly. They will also chase you when angry

Armadillo

Viper

Apollo

Jekyll

Apache (they were the ones who alleged to scalp people?)

Calavera (Spanish for skull)

Atama (Japanese for head)

Think I'm getting carried away now.....

The airforce guys often refer to their helmets as a "bone dome" and one of my mates always talks about his "skid lid".

What's the name of your company? Don't you want that in the name of the product so customers can associate the product with the manufacturer? If its a success, you can leverage new products off your previous successes.

Even in aeobatics we know of Pitts Specials, Zivko Egde 540, Christian Eagle, David Clarks etc...

I'm making an assumption here - you're going to be using Bluetooth ?
If that's the case I'd like to propose the helmet is called the Blatand or the Viking ( or Perhaps Harald ! )
My reason is Origin of the name "Bluetooth"
"Bluetooth" was named after a Viking who was a Danish King-Harald Blatand. Blatand was loosely translated into “Bluetooth” But what has an ancient king name got to do with the wireless transferring technology? They may not have connection between each other, but it comes from an interesting origin: Harald Blatand is reported to have united Demark and Norway, and hence so as the wireless technology uniting people. Nokia developed the technology and called it Bluetooth.
David

Its not Bluetooth. Bluetooth has some very awkward and serious limitations.

Love the story however, didnt know that. Its these kind of ideas that are great, a word association with a tenuous link but a link none the less. Particularly with the association of the country in which it was designed.

Trying the regional thing (I've never been to NZ though!):
Kiwi Bin
Offsider Flight Helmet
The Communi-Mate
Whanau Flight Helmet

If you want to maximize sales, how about a marketing concept to go with the name?:):

Can a flying helmet actually restore lost hair? You be the judge!

Introducing the sensational, ALL-NEW Sansabonk 6000 Flying Helmet System with Sav-A-Pate Scalp Stimulation Technology! It's not just a flying helmet, it's System!

100% Guaranteed to prevent hair loss*! Not convinced? Just read these testimonials:

"I've found my Sansabonk 6000 to be a stylish addition to my wardrobe. Whether for a casual evening out, or at an important business meeting, I've found it adds panache to any social occasion." - Joseph Winget, Skybolt pilot

"After Joe started using the Sansabonk 6000, I've found I just can't resist running my fingers through his thick, luxurious hair! - Mitzie Vavoom, friend of model 6000 owner

The Sansabonk 6000 is fully Dandruff AND minoxidil resistant! Get yours today!

small print:
*Prevents hair loss when used as directed by eliminating the effect of slipstream on scalp while operating an open cockpit biplane. Sansabonk and Sav-A-Pate are registered trademarks of the Sansabonk Flying Helmet Company. All rights reserved.

Dragonfly, I mean no disrespect, just a bit of fun! :) Most users on this site can appreciate the effort it takes to create something out of nothing.

Best of luck on your venture!

Mark

How about iHelmet? Stupid name, but things that start with the little "i" seem to sell pretty well...

How about "Jimmy G-Hat". You could mold some ribs in it.

Slogan: "Chicks Dig Em"

Would it have a G-string instead of a chin strap? Visualize it; the thong part goes over your head and you could put the mic inside. Would want to use a new one though.
Really think G-hat sounds too much like "Jihad" which ain't real popular right now.
Do like the sound of it though!

iSkull ;)

You guys have some pics. i've been trying to find something I can wear in an S-1T for ages but all are too big.

A place where various cameras can be mounted without adding much width is essential. Also for tight canopies soft non scratch surface is essential or it'll damage a multi thousand dollar canopy. Love the wireless idea, thats a real boon in the event of a bail out but having a power cord will be essential for long flights or deailing with inevitable battery gone dead problems.

Might have trademark issues with using that, maybe not however.

Unfortunately we are unable to release pictures at this time due to ongoing patent work. We do however hope that we will have this sorted soon, hoping for early next year, so we can show folk what we are doing.

I have an S-1 (Im 6'2 as well) and my intention was to develop something that would allow me to comfortable where it in the Pitts.
To get enough noise attenuation is very difficult without having some helmet width due to an earcup of some description, we could go with in an ear monitor system but not everyone likes having things in their ears, so by this (and the need to have somewhere to hide the wireless electronics and ANR) there is some width to the helmet, although no wider than an HGU-55.

Hopefully you don't do flights that last more than approx 20-30hrs as that is the battery life, with a pretty good warning of running out. Having said that you can charge in flight with a 12V plug in.

I'm in the market for a helmet setup, if you are looking for a local pirep ? ;-)
Jus make sure it has a good way of clipping a go-pro on it... as I'm in love with this thing.....

Well spotted. Yes, these are from Australia and we are working very closely with the company to introduce the technology into our helmets. The equipment works extremely well and the company is continually working on new developments, improvements etc.
Any questions feel free to ask as I know the product quite well.

We are well through with the design, there have been quite a few hold ups with funding the project but we are getting there.

As I'm sure a lot on the forum here know, design projects take longer than initially thought (this in itself is just about doing my head in), time frames elongated, suppliers muck you around, prototypes don't quite work as expected, funds don't quite materialise when expected but we hope to get there soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back