• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New flight helmet design - naming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will your helmets get a SNELL certification?
http://www.smf.org/

My racing helmets are Snell SA2005 or SA2010. The type loads and impact exposure must be carefully considered when designing a helmet. Motorcycle helmets are not allowed in racing cars, and vice versa, due to the different environment. I would think an airplane helmet would be more like a racecar environment than a motorcycle, yet I do see some companies passing off modified motorcycle helmets to aviators.

Of course, you may be shooting for a purely aesthetic piece of equipment that is not intended to be safety equipment. If so, disregard my rambling.

sounds exciting let us know when your ready to launch maybe we can be your distributor :)

Names hmmm
Crazy Lid. (as some might think the pilots going upside down and sideways are a little on the crazy side, The truth is they really don't know. If they did, they would realize "little" is not the right word.).

Or keep it simple: q Dragon Fly 1

Good luck on your design and launch wish you great success!

cashflyer - Not SNELL or DOT certified, the criteria a not suited to the impact forces involved in aviation accidents and incidents. The testing is very specific to the types of impacts one might receive from a motorcycle crash and uses curb stone shaped anvils for the impact tests (as well as pointed objects).
Its all relative stuff and if the helmet were tested to SNELL standard it would likely do quite well.

The standards we are manufacturing too will be EN966 (airsports helmet) which is a European standard but primarily has criteria set for paragliding and ultralight aircraft.
The other standards are MilSpecs for various helmets. The MilSpecs are very mission specific with specs for heli helmets and specs for jet helmets, specs for visors, straps etc etc.
At this point in time we are pretty confident that we can meet or exceed 99.9% of the relavant MilSpecs and also EN966 (which is a slightly higher standard than most of the MilSpec stuff).
The cost to have testing done to receive a standards mark is immense and requires many helmets to be tested, annual testing, random sampling and many other hoops to jump through, we are talking tens of thousands of dollars if not more and for the size of the market is probably not worth the effort. We will be using an idependant testing company, testing to the appropriate standards but note actually applying for certification otherwise the end purchaser wears the cost. I would rather sell the helmet for something like $1500 instead of $2500 leaving the customer knowing that the helmets have been tested appropriately but just don't have a little sticker.
The certification is not legally required (currently) and I'm pretty sure that the end user has the intelligence to determine fitness for purpose given the information we will provide.

SpencerAircraft - Thanks for the kind words. I may be in touch when the time arrives.

I think we may have a name sorted and there have been some great ideas. Once again I can't say too much (kind of like Smizo's paint job) but will certainly let everyone know when things are finalised and intellectual property protection is in place.

Snell is what I referenced due to my racing experience, but none the less, I am glad to see that you are doing appropriate testing. I think many of us will be just as happy with a sticker that says "Meets EN966" as opposed to a sticker that says "EN966 Certified". The only place it may be an issue is with competition sanctioning bodies, but I don't know.

I'm getting there slowly. Its been a pretty big time and financial commitment.
I unfortunately have nothing to show folk as of yet (still under an IP cloud) but we are getting there.

I have a name pretty much sorted now and we are will be working with a particularly well known aircraft colour scheme designer to do the product branding, logo's etc etc, someone Smizo might know ;)

This has been a massive project for me and a huge drain in many ways. If I had known how much grief it would have caused I don't think I would have tackled the job, or at the very least changed they way I tackled it.

I will keep everyone informed as we get to a stage where I can publically show something.

What about the name? Any chance you could give us some hints?

I would probably be keen on a helmet, planning on coming out of retirement soon and doing some comps and shows. Given Australia is a suburb of your fine country, happy to support the NZ economy!

Andrew

Only clue I can give is it has a link to an aerobatic maneuver.

Some of the technology we are working with was developed in Australia so it would be a family affair so to speak, economy wise that is.

I'll be in Australia for the Temora Warbirds show in November so if your around we should have a beer or three.

You know that "Ground Loop" isn't an aerobatic manoeuvre right?

November sounds good, I've just shifted back to Canberra which is only 2 hours or so drive. I'm sure I can find us something to do some flying in too if your up for it. I'm always keen to learn from other acro pilots (and have fun)

We are working through some elements at present, mostly the what composite layup we are using (materials and layering) and hope to be making some good headway towards the final design in the next few months.

I am in the process of moving from one end of NZ's South Island to the other which is taking quite a bit of time, I shifted my Pitts project a couple of weekends back and the rest of the house and workshop etc soon. The main reason for the move is to really concentrate on the helmet project so hopefully will have news for you guys soon.

Believe me, you guys will be some of the first to get info when I am able.

Latest posts

Back