New guy in Bonney Lake, WA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jphoenix, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Jan 7, 2018 #1

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Registered Users

Hi everyone,

New here, planning to build a biplane someday, looking hard at a Charger or a Skybolt - but right now I'm building a Wittman Model W - aka Buttercup.

I building the Buttercup first so I can get proficient with tailwheel. I'm a long time open class sailplane pilot with not many SEL hours but lots of sailplane hours in a Nimbus 3 and other stuff over the past 30 years.

I'm an A&P, former IA, but lots of fabrication experience from the 80's when I worked for Varga Aircraft building Kachinas and then working on air tankers in Arizona for a few years before moving into the airline business. So, I'm pretty good with TIG or gas and have covered a couple of rag and tube gliders I restored (Schweizer 1-26's).

First question for the forum is that I see Wicks has two varieties of 4130 tubing, AG (for American or German) and Chinese. Priced accordingly. ACS has only one variety and they don't specify Chinese or otherwise and their prices are better than Wicks.

Anyone have any experience with Chinese 4130 - and any idea if Spruce's 4130 is Chinese?

Thanks,

Jim Phoenix

Dennis5678 likes this.
  2. Jan 7, 2018 #2

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

From my experience the chinese 4130 definitely looks different under the hood. Who knows what it really is and I'm not sure a supplier can give you certs on it. If you want to be assured of only german or american 4130 you might consider Airparts in Kansas City. Pam Warner will not stock any chinese steel. Buttercups are way cool. Good choice. My buddy is starting a W10 soon.

3. Jan 7, 2018 #3

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Registered Users

Thanks Kevin, I’ll check out Airparts.

4. Jan 7, 2018 #4

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

StinsonPilot

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!
    I'm in Fall City and there are 3 Skybolts at the Fall City Airport right now if you want to see a few. There are a few others in the area too.

5. Jan 7, 2018 #5

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

Welcome to the club !

Dennis5678 likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2018 #6

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Registered Users

Cool, a friend has a Skybolt fuselage and some wing completed in his garage up in Everett, he’s talked me towards that design. His Swift and kids are getting in the way of finishing, but now he’s reinvigorated!

I still haven’t given up on a S2, I truly believe the Pitts is in my heart.

7. Jan 7, 2018 #7

will moffitt

will moffitt

will moffitt

Registered Users Supporting Member

Hi Jim:

I have a 150 hp one place starduster in Anacortes. If you decide to give Stinson Doug a visit in Fall City I need an excuse to get out.

will

Jphoenix likes this.
  8. Jan 7, 2018 #8

wapati-bull

wapati-bull

wapati-bull

Jim, I am a retired boilermaker. When we started having to weld the steel imported from the Asian area, it seems to have impurities similar to virgin steel vs poor quality recycled steel. It was frustrating with structural but worse in the high pressure applications. I would get the US or German steel. Just my opinion, but I don't like weld poor parent material. Dave new EAA biplane owner

9. Jan 12, 2018 #9

nick45

nick45

nick45

Welcome to the group Jim!

10. Jan 12, 2018 #10

wzm

wzm

wzm

11. Jan 12, 2018 #11

PGE2015

PGE2015

PGE2015

Registered Users

I would double check the ACS comment, it indicates the steel tubing is manufactured in the US it does not say the steel from which the tubing is manufactured from is AG.

12. Jan 12, 2018 #12

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Howdy Jim, welcome to the forum!

If you find yourself building a Charger, I am just starting my Charger build, nearly done building ribs. I'm in Seattle, not too far from you. I'd be very glad to have another Charger builder nearby to trade tips with. There's a Charger that was just recently brought to Pierce County, N645. There's a Charger down in Corvallis, OR, and freerangequark on this forum, Glenn Gordon, is the Charger Master, down in central CA, not too far from Lake Tahoe. As was mentioned above, there are numerous Skybolts around as well.

Welcome!

Jphoenix likes this.
  13. Jan 13, 2018 #13

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Jphoenix

Registered Users

Hi Ian, still trying to decide which pipe to build after the Buttercup. Just got a contractor estimate today for a new shop, 24' x 40' - gonna need the room.

Also received a shipment of 4130 from ACS and it is indeed Plymouth steel, drawn in the US, so that's good. They seem to have the best prices - now if they would just ship the wing spruce kit I order a couple of months ago.

Friend of mine is building a Skybolt, but I've been reading about the Charger and it seems more down my alley - I'd be flying more distance than aero.

There's a Great Lakes project on Seattle craigslist for $8000. ;-)

14. Jan 13, 2018 #14

Randy

Randy

Randy

Remember - build your shop twice as big as you need, you will have room for half your stuff !!
    My shop is 26'x44' with an AcroSport 1 setting in it. I would give an awful lot to have another 6' in each direction :(

Don't forget at least 3 - 4'x8' work tables, stationary power tools, materials storage, office/computer room, bathroom, compressor, room to set up paint booth, hand tool storage, counter space with doors/drawers/overhead cabinets. - - - - - - - man do I wish I had more space :(

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Jphoenix likes this.
  15. Jan 15, 2018 #15

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Registered Users Supporting Member

welcome jim good luck on your choice to build.

Jphoenix likes this.
  16. Jan 15, 2018 #16

dotson414

dotson414

dotson414

Jim I live in Kent sent you a message about a complete project I have. Thanks Dave