• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New guy in Bonney Lake, WA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jphoenix

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New here, planning to build a biplane someday, looking hard at a Charger or a Skybolt - but right now I'm building a Wittman Model W - aka Buttercup.

I building the Buttercup first so I can get proficient with tailwheel. I'm a long time open class sailplane pilot with not many SEL hours but lots of sailplane hours in a Nimbus 3 and other stuff over the past 30 years.

I'm an A&P, former IA, but lots of fabrication experience from the 80's when I worked for Varga Aircraft building Kachinas and then working on air tankers in Arizona for a few years before moving into the airline business. So, I'm pretty good with TIG or gas and have covered a couple of rag and tube gliders I restored (Schweizer 1-26's).

First question for the forum is that I see Wicks has two varieties of 4130 tubing, AG (for American or German) and Chinese. Priced accordingly. ACS has only one variety and they don't specify Chinese or otherwise and their prices are better than Wicks.

Anyone have any experience with Chinese 4130 - and any idea if Spruce's 4130 is Chinese?

Thanks,

Jim Phoenix

Latest posts

Back