• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New hopeful builder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas76

Registered Users
Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm new to the forum, hoping to start building an airplane soon. A few weeks ago a friend of mine showed my his Fairchild 21 and now I'm thinking I need a biplane. I'm looking at either a Hatz Classic or a Skybolt. I've never even seen either in person and currently am not a pilot, but since it'll be a few years before the airplane is finished, I can learn. from what I've read both airplanes are fairly comfortable and pleasant to fly, although I realize that the were designed for different purposes. I'm 6'5" and 180lbs, hopefully once it's built it will get quite a bit of airtime, so I want something that I will be comfortable flying. I'm leaning toward the Skybolt at the moment. Does anyone have any words of wisdom that would sway the decision one way or the other? Any general tips for the first time builder?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back