• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New In Ear Headset Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toobuilder

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the new CQ1 headset recently and just flew with them today. This is my first experience with an "in ear" configuration, and the first step away from my beloved Zulu. Obviously extremely lightweight, these initially failed to impress with the noise attenuation but by the time I was ready to taxi, the foam had expanded into all the voids in my ear and things got nice and quiet. The radio was crystal clear if a little more "tinny", but not objectionable at all. The mic had no discernable side tone, so that was a bit different than I'm used to, but again, not a problem. During the short flight the noise attenuation improved and I got more used to the different feel on my head. Didn't do any hard acro, but I did periodically shake my head to try get it to unseat. It didn't.

After the shakedown in the relatively loud RV-8, I also flew a bit in the T-craft with it's mighty 65 Lyc popping away and found the performance equally good.

There is much more flying to be done, but initial impressions are great. Not convinced these are a direct replacement for the full set of features I expect from my Zulus, but they are certainly going to be the "go to" for formation and acro work. These appear to be the no nonsense, high performance headsets everyone claims.

I'm happy I bought them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back