• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New member/intro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting a set of Skybolt plans for Christmas. I'm currently 70% done scratch building a hummelbird. I recently welded up my landing gear and decided I like welding. I always wanted to scratch-build a 2-hole pitts S2E, but I've found out that you can't get plans for one. I figure by the time I finish the hummelbird, and finish the skybolt, that the skybolt may well be a better choice for me than the pitts. I did about 10 hours of acro training in an S2A and enjoyed it, though it was years ago.

I learned to fly back in 1990 in a 1946 PA12. At MMK where I was based there was a really nice Skybolt build by a dentist out of Cheshire, CT.

Partly I joined the forum early to learn about the options. If I was to choose today I would go for the 0-360 and the closed canopy. I'm not sure about the other options, the two piece upper wing seems interesting. But I'm here to learn, I have time before I start on the project, like at least a couple of years.

I tow gliders with PA25's and I fly gliders too. Plus I'm in a C140 club, and I'm working on my instrument ticket in a PA28R. Not very biplane-y, but I like to be well rounded. I can always rent something like an arrow or a cessna, and lots of opportunity to tow, but it's hard to get into a 2-hole acrobatic biplane. That is part of my reason to build. Plus, I like to build.

-- Bryan Cotton
www.eaa533.org
www.harrishillsoaring.org
www.sikorsky.com
www.sacusa.com
N72362
N2895H

Latest posts

Back