• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New member introduction and Starduster Too owner.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Evan Hilton. I am based out of Cartersville, GA and my dad and I recently picked up a Starduster Too. The airplane will need some structural restoration and a recovering. I am not over the top familiar with the process of restoring an airplane but lucky for me my ace in the hole is my dad, Greg Hilton, who will be helping to guide me through the process and likely completing a good portion himself due to me wanting it to be flyable. He is an engineer and well, I am not. I flipped houses for 6 years where I would do full renovations on almost condemnable homes and then pray someone would buy them once I finished. It worked out every time thankfully and gives me some idea of what it takes to complete an extensive detail oriented project such as building an airplane. I plan to post the progress of our restoration and anyone with advice along the way can let us know if it will catch wind or catch a cold. I grew up flying with my dad in his Fairchild PT19 which he has now owned for 27 years. He completed a partial restoration on it in 2011 when it was time for an engine overhaul. Might as well doll her up a little while the engine is gone he thought. He has also plan built a Super Koala which currently lacks being covered and avionics. He has restored a crashed 7/8th scale Neuiport 11 that he actually watched the guy crash on a too heavy take off. He just happened to be driving by while the builder (the heavy part) attempted his first takeoff in the plane on a grass strip. He thought it was perfect timing, my mom did not. The N11 only lacks being covered and painted to fly. His RV6 build was started in 2014 and needs the wiring to be completed then a fancy paint job. The engine is a Lycoming O-320-D3G. Last but not least he has a 75% scale Focke Wulf FW 190 from Jurca plans, which is mostly complete. Basically like every project, they are all almost done but that last bit takes the most time is seems. A big part of it is once any get past the point they are currently then the number of hangars he would need may be a problem and who wants their babies out in the elements. He has owned various other planes throughout his flying time such as a 46 Taylorcraft BC12D (nicknamed The throw up craft if you can guess why), a 1939 Aeronca Chief and a 67 Cherokee 140 but I learned what little bit of flying ability I have in the PT19 once I was long enough to reach the pedals. Such a fun and beautiful airplane to float through the sky in on a clear day. Growing up he let me help as much as I could manage but I can say I was one damn good flashlight holder. I recently mentioned getting into some aerobatics and he turned me on to the Pitts and then the more affordable option- a restorable Starduster. I will give more detailed information about the Starduster Too we purchased in the build/restoration thread. Until then, glad to be a part of the biplane forum community and I look forward to getting some good advice from knowledgeable people.

Latest posts

Back