• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Member Rick Kozubek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Rick.

I've been lurking for a while trying to rejuvenate interest in resurrecting my firebolt project.
I want to start by thanking everyone here who built and contributed to the forum over the years. It truly is one of nicest, most useful and genuine forums I've seen. The amount of knowledge willingly shared on this forum speaks highly about all of you. Thank You!

Back in 1988 my wife ordered me a set of what she thought were skybolt plans for Christmas. She ordered them from Mac McKenzie and turned out, they were firebolt plans. I called Mac and said WTF! He quickly explained the differences so I started building. I was in Southern California at the time flying for Uncle Sam and worked on it every minute I could. I swore I would NOT be one of those guys who lets life get in the way and take 30 years to build the thing. Well guess what? Life got in the way, 30 plus years have gone by and I have become one of those guys. The plane was almost finished when I moved to Texas 20 years ago. It has been stored properly in a climate controlled environment with low humidity. It is now time to finish it. I have watched, with great interest, the problems develop with the charger cantilever gear and all the attempted fixes. It pains me to start cutting the gear fittings apart, but it's that or watch it sit for another 30 years. I plan on adapting the grove gear and move forward from there.

I have talked to a lot of you over the years at Oshkosh. I look forward to tapping into the vast knowledge base here on the forum and sharing what ever knowledge I can when appropriate.

Thanks again to everyone.

Respectfully,
Rick Kozubek

Latest posts

Back