• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New / Old Member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello To All,
I was one of the original members of the Forum but dropped out due to health reasons for several years. The membership has grown considerably since I've been gone so I thought I would "re-introduce" myself.
I am 69 yrs. old and live in Michigan. I am not an expert in anything aviation, building or flying, but I have been involved for awhile. I built my first V-8 SkyBolt in the late 70's and a couple more in the 80's and worked for George Morse as plant manager building the Prowler aircraft in California. I also helped Beej write the SkyBolt builders manual in a effort to entice more potential builders to make the "big" commitment to build an aircraft. From the looks of the membership numbers we succeeded :))))
A couple years ago I got back into flying gliders and powered gliders and thought that was as far as I would go but a few months ago Beej called me and got me interested in building again. I decided to finish the Acro Sport 1 setting in my basement.
As you old members remember I was an alternative power plant user - Buick 215 cid, chevy 350 cid and originally had a rotary engine for the Acro Sport but have since sold it.
In my old age and increasing wisdom I have decided to install a Lyc. in the Acro Sport. My problem - I know very little about air cooled engines :((
I can build the Acro Sport to comply with the sport pilot rules using an O-320 engine. I printed out the list of engine designations for the O-320 - - - 3 pages long :((((
I looked at the engine list on Barnstormers and just confused myself more. I cannot afford a new engine - - I desperately need advice. . . . . I welcome all opinions;
Which engine designations are suitable for limited - sportsman - acro?
Should I look for an engine with a few 100 hrs. left on it?
Should I look for a runout and rebuild it or trade for factory remanufactured?
What do I look for in a used engine?
What do I stay away from?

Thank you very much for your thoughts, good to be back here :))
Randy

P.S. Anyone who posts a reply here will go on my list to answer my dumb questions in the future . . .

Latest posts

Back