• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Pitts Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwynn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been a member here for some time but mostly lurking. I was hot to build an Acrosport several years ago but did not ever get the project going. I build an RV8 (ten years of really good fun) and was initially having building withdrawal. Then I started flying and flight testing and remembered how much I loved to fly. Went down to Sean Tucker's aerobatic school to relearn the basics for flight testing my RV. Unfortunately, this led to a real aerobatic bug. Finally decided that my RV was not the right airplane and just bought an S-1 Pitts. I had spend some time with Budd Davisson last fall when I thought my friend and I were going to buy an Eagle. That never came to fruition and I decided to go with the S-1. I have another week scheduled with Budd in May and will hopefully be ready to fly the Pitts on my return.

It is a 1977 factory built, black and silver, hangered in Spokane. Some of you may have seen it on Barnstormers. It is getting delivered to me in Livermore once the weather clears in the Northwest.

My first job will be to sort out the foot pedals, cushions, parachute, etc--fit the plane to me. I plan some routine maintenance and a lot of getting to know it before I fly. It will be interesting to see the actual state of the rig once I get up. Being a factory built will limit some of the things I can do in customization. I had an interesting talk with Danny at the Aviat factory. He tells me that the type certificate from those days is not specific about some things like the starter and alternator, so those can be changed to a TSO'd unit without a specific STC. Beyond that, I will need to keep things pretty much as built.

Anyway, this is going to be an adventure. I have been reading through the postings on these planes. Lots to learn. I will start posting questions when I can make them intelligent ones.

Regards,
Michael Wynn
Pitts S1-S
Livermore, CA

Latest posts

Back