• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Proud Skybolt Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm now the proud owner of N81962, a 1990 Steen Skybolt that was previously living in Gallatin, TN. The aircraft is powered by an O-360A1D engine with a Hartzell constant speed prop, Bendix RSA5 fuel injection, and inverted oil. The airframe was overhauled in 1999 by a Stearman builder: tubes blasted and primed, wood revarnished, rewired, new metal fittings, new taller Skybolt gear, new aluminum panels, new instrument panels, new windshields and fairings, new-plan-design aileron slate struts, recovered in Ceconite and repainted. The aircraft is in beautiful condition and flew straight and fast (once I replaced the failing spark plugs :p).

I logged my first-ever 18 hours in a Skybolt flying it back to San Diego with my tailwheel instructor. Between the two of us we figured out how to land the thing, though we're still fine-tuning this. The landings are a lot noisier and busier than the Citabria in which I trained (I wonder why?). Love the big rudder though...

It was awfully fun to attract attention at every fuel stop we made on the trip back. This is a wonderful plane and I'm looking foward to many hours of enjoyable flying (and acro!) in the future...

Colleen

20091002_152624_IMG_0806.jpg
Edited by: CKeller

Latest posts

Back