• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New S-1 owner with questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood1169

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I Recently purchased a really nice Bill Rose S-1S after I sold my S-2C to free up a some cash. It’s a great little Pitts that just needs a bit of updating and some regular flying to get the bugs worked out. Currently I’m replacing things that are way too old calendar wise like 17 year old fuel pump and bungees from 96 for example. But also trying not to down the airplane for too long until Ohio winter comes. At that point, I will do the ads-b and some panel updates ect. I’ll try my best not to duplicate questions that have already been asked on here.

Another item on my old age list is the flop tube. I came across a logbook entry the says “Fuel tank was removed and 1 1/4” aluminum plug was welded into front of fuel tank to relocate flop tube from bottom of tank to center. Flop tube was extended 1 1/2” at fitting end with brass pipe giving total length of 14” in 17” tank. Note- Aircraft engine can run out of fuel in straight down maneuver” Is this a common thing for an S-1? The flop tube is definitely 20 years old based on the logs so I wanted to change it but this is odd to me.

Also, does anyone know the length of the mixture cable typically used on the S-1S? It’s currently the t-handle style and it’s very difficult to use most of the time. Would like to get the vernier style made before i take it apart.

Thanks,

Brandon

Latest posts

Back