• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

"New" Skybolt Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rome

Reaction score
I wanted to share a couple of pics of the Steen Skybolt project my father and I just picked up from some great guys at the EAA Chapter in Pineville, LA. Somemight remember this particular plane from when it was on display at the Florida Air Museum in Lakeland, FL. It was originally built in 1974by World War II pilot Richard Schenck of Portland, Indiana who flew Hawker Hurricanes against the German Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain. He donated it to the museum back in the 1980's and it was subsequently sold at auction after a number of years on display.

Construction on ourRV-4 is almost complete, so the Skybolthas becomeour remedy for"empty nest syndrome"for the day whenthe RV finally leaves the shop. It needs a fair degree ofTLC, but its complete, andwe should have it restored and flying again within the next coupleof years. Airframe and engine both have a total of 151 hours since the plane was originally completed in 1974.

I'll try to keep this thread updated with progress reports as we move forward with the project in the months to come. What an awesome plane!

-N472161small.jpg

DSC02980-small.jpg

DSC02991-small.jpg
Edited by: Rome

Latest posts

Back