• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New to me Acro II - first looks and questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrinker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the new (to me) Acro II in the hanger over the weekend. Finally had a few minutes to go over and start looking her over. Definitely going to need some work.

Pics will be attached below, but here's the list so far:

- Belly fabric is shot. Well, the paint is SHOT, as in peeing/has peeled off in large chunks. Lots of tape, krylon, etc. on there as band-aids. Its much worse than 3 years ago when I last saw it.
- Some corrosion on two of the lower wind attach fittings (on fuse). Nothing super serious, but definitely going to need to do some overall corrosion cleanup and repainting of anything I can access.
- Wiring is corroded and probably looking at a complete rewire job.
- Has some old INOP fuel totalizer that is no longer supported (company gone). Will be removing that.
- Some gauges/instruments have seen better days. Compass esp.
- Rear seat needs something for a back, of some kind.
- Fabric on movable rudder bottom is loose, and looks to have been this way a long time.
- Engine (IO-360-B1F) is in good shape, up to date, and only 582hrs since full rebuild at PennYan. Prop is also in good shape and up to date.
- Nose Bowl is not in great shape. Where can I get a new one? Its been repaired a number of times in the thin area in back of the prop and is on it's last legs.
- Wings are in good shape, with only some very minor paint cracks. No delam at all showing.

My thoughts:

I had thought "Get her back together and get flying by mid summer, doing as little as possible". Now that I've seen it I think "Well, this is a bigger job. Probably have to do fabric on the fuse. Maybe a good time to hit a lot of this other stuff on the fuselage.

Not sure if it's too big a job to take on, but thinking:

- Pull all the aluminum off the fuse and see what else might need attention. At a minimum the belly fabric has to be replaced. Might as well do the whole fuse and tail at that point.
- What method is best to clean and repaint the exposed fuselage tubing while I have it tore down? I'm thinking maybe dry ice blasting?
- Thinking Stewarts System for recover. Paint too.
- Full rewire, wiring is pretty bad.
- Maybe consider going with something like the Dynon FlightDEK-D180 to replace most of the engine and some of the existing steam gauges.
- If I go that route, and maybe even if not, thinking at least cut a new panel even if I reuse some of the existing instruments.

Or I could be totally getting ahead of myself. Talk me down...

-Jeff

OK too many pics to upload - here's a google pics shared folder of them. Take a look and let me know what you all think :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B2d16ZG52ID2gxiC2

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back