• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Newbie here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

914Driver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a private pilot with a glider rating and very new to power. I'd like to stay at the LSA end of town and it looks like you guys can help.

My friend has an RV_ (?) small plane powered by a Mazda rotary engine, a J-3 Cub and a Fly Baby. For some reason the Fly Baby has turned my head. (for better or worse) He built it in college at the school's wood shop.

My experience: None around planes. I was a toolmaker for the Army doing prototype and experimental weaonry, spent a dozen years in Quality Control and now work at a research facility mostly doing failure analaysis. I like what I do, but they offered me a ton of cash if I retire to keep the newbies from getting laid off, so I'm leaving this summer at 60 with 42 years service.

I've built some cars and motorcycles over the years, never anything with wings. I started poking around for Fly Babies and then saw a Baby Great Lakes on fleabay. I'd appreciate your honesty in this, I know nothing. If it's the goofy kid in the back of the homebuilt class, please tell me now. This particular one looks like a good place to start and I don't think I will be allowed to retire unless I have a project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Great-...=111378120614&pt=Motors_Aircraft#ht_35wt_1218

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Latest posts

Back