• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Newbie in SoCal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capfl424

Reaction score
Hi

I am a new forum member from the San Diego area. I have been flying since the mid 90s and intended to purchase a Citabria to explore aerobatics. Then, one sunny day, a friend took me up in a Stearman and now I'm damaged beyond repair. It felt as exciting as flying for the first time. Citabrias are very nice aircraft but I think they were just a "gateway airplane." Now I'm hooked on the open cockpit.

So, now I am looking for a Skybolt, Eagle II (canopy I know), Starduster Too or Acro Sport II. I am 6'5" and 230lbs so I think a Pitts is out. Besides a nice two hole Pitts is over my budget.

The good news: hangars are available at KSEE so when I find one it will have a nice safe place to live.

Bad news: the supply completely dried up on barnstormers and tradeaplane.

So, it is nice to read all of the wisdom on these pages. I will continue to learn as I am looking. Any advice is welcome, requested and appreciated.

Paul

Latest posts

Back