• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Newbie With Some Dumb Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELSV8

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hello All,

New to the forum, new to biplanes. Would appreciate giving a few lines of info and have anyone willing to give their 2 cents. I'm thick skinned so have at it...

3,500 hr GA pilot used to flying straight and level, keep your passengers from spilling their water. Hard IMC...no problem. More than 30 degree bank...never. Being bored with that scene 25 yrs later, the urge to get upside down, roll, loop, basic type stuff only, I'm going to part with a great Mooney and am looking at the right aerobatic airplane. Now here's where I stir the pot...not intentially by the way.

Fairly big guy (6' 235 lbs) and a bit stiff in my old age. No interest in competition or anything beyond basic, maybe a few intermediate maneuvers. Occasionally like to fly a distance although I have access to a light twin for serious getting around. All the grizzled oldies at my field (Ashe Cnty, NC) who are tail dragger vets, say "no" to the Pitts (agree), like the C.Eagle but warn about landing characteristics, and all agree the Skybolt is more well mannered, more comfy, better suited for a more than 200 leg. I originally didn't consider the Skybolt because it seems there's an absence of bubble canopy birds out there (prefer full canopy both holes). Perhaps that's something that can be added to one?

In any case, anyone with seat time in both the Eagle and Skybolt, especially interested in hearing your assessment. There are a bunch of Eagles out there for sale some of which sound like excellent birds. Not finding as good an inventory or available Skybolts. If anyone is aware of a really good example for sale, please advise.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to lurking here and learning....

Elliot

Latest posts

Back