• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moyo

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,

I have watched my dad unsuccessfully (due to life's demands) sit on a PT17 stearman in his hangar for 24 years. The wings were professionally built and the engine overhauled in Ohio in recent years. The plane is completely inpieces and it is apparent he has no interest in finishing it.

Now on to the model 12. I am young and naiive and looking to get rid of this and start on a Pitts project. I have recently been hooked on aerobatics and Pitts models in general. Then I discovered this machine. I have always loved warbirds and classics but the nostalgia of owning a pitts with a radial has sent me on a mission to build/own one.

I am now 30 years old flying corporate and instructing on the side for a living (barely) and looking to trade up projects. I have no idea what im getting into but have lots of support from builders etc.

Ifirst have to figure out where to start with selling this stearman project. Then figure out the costs of getting into a model 12. I know everyone has tried to steer me away from this but I absolutely must try. Its been my lifelong (short life at that) dream.

So can you people kindly guide me through this? or tell me Im dreaming?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back