• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Nicks S-1S build thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acrobum

Reaction score
Well, here I start on my second S-1! Inspired by many great build threads on here like Brets S-1SX, Chris's Acrosport, and Dennis's S-1S. Now this thread will probably not be as detailed or great but oh well, I'll give it a shot!

Backstory, I posted some pictures and a question awhile back about my spring gear installation, it was about 50/50 on the responses because it is a custom arrangement. After a long discussion with the man himself, Robbie at Grove, we decided against any modifications to the fuselage and against any changes to how the gear mounts. So with that being said I officially started on this project about a week ago. But I have tinkered with it in the previous months. So far I striped the fuselage and catalogued parts and pieces, sanded all of the steal parts, inspected, reprimed, and repainted them. I had a friend who does low pressure, low abrasive sand blasting do my fuselage and tail. Painted it in Poly Fibers epoxy primer. Majority of that was done in the previous week. But, now the fun part, assembly and covering time!

Pictures below are ones I've taken along the way, including jigging it up in a custom rotisserie to be blasted and painted. The last picture is how it sat as of today. Should be all down hill from here!

IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

Latest posts

Back