Nicks S-1S build thread

Discussion in 'Pitts' started by Acrobum, Jun 6, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 6, 2017 #1

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

Well, here I start on my second S-1! Inspired by many great build threads on here like Brets S-1SX, Chris's Acrosport, and Dennis's S-1S. Now this thread will probably not be as detailed or great but oh well, I'll give it a shot!

Backstory, I posted some pictures and a question awhile back about my spring gear installation, it was about 50/50 on the responses because it is a custom arrangement. After a long discussion with the man himself, Robbie at Grove, we decided against any modifications to the fuselage and against any changes to how the gear mounts. So with that being said I officially started on this project about a week ago. But I have tinkered with it in the previous months. So far I striped the fuselage and catalogued parts and pieces, sanded all of the steal parts, inspected, reprimed, and repainted them. I had a friend who does low pressure, low abrasive sand blasting do my fuselage and tail. Painted it in Poly Fibers epoxy primer. Majority of that was done in the previous week. But, now the fun part, assembly and covering time!

Pictures below are ones I've taken along the way, including jigging it up in a custom rotisserie to be blasted and painted. The last picture is how it sat as of today. Should be all down hill from here!

IMG_7413.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8813.jpg

IMG_8865.jpg

Dennis Flamini, smizo, Neil and 2 others like this.
  2. Jun 6, 2017 #2

f18shack

f18shack

f18shack

f18shack Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for sharing. I'm starting a similar teardown of an S-1S so I'll be paying attention to your progress. Are you making changes to the stock fuel system? How about the panel and electrics? Are you rebuilding the wings or starting fresh?

3. Jun 6, 2017 #3

Cary Cumberland

Cary Cumberland

Cary Cumberland

Cary Supporting Member

Nice job, will be fun o watch!

4. Jun 6, 2017 #4

raymoeller

raymoeller

raymoeller

yeah man! keep it coming!

5. Jun 6, 2017 #5

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I agree, watching a project move along is great motivation! Keep it up.

6. Jun 6, 2017 #6

wzm

wzm

wzm

I can't make out the tail number, but what's the plane's backstory? I understand the extra cross bracing in the first bay (it looks like it's all landing gear reinforcement), but I'm curious about the extra tubing in the main fuselage under the tail support. It looks really clean!

7. Jun 6, 2017 #7

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

H-stab brace attach? Seems an odd way to do it.

8. Jun 7, 2017 #8

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

No changes to the stock fuel system other than eliminating the wobble pump and using a RV electric fuel pump. As for the electrical system, there is none. But that's changing, I'm installing a B&C 8 amp alternator, Becker radio, and a Sandia transponder. The wing sitsuation sits in a crate as of now, they are Raven wings. I'm taking them to Steen Aerolab Thursday and they are going to assist in the build! Not a far drive for me. I'll be doing majority of the work but just under their watchful eye and using their resources.

There isn't much of a backstory on the airplane other than being a factory fuselage with only 49 hours TT! Rich Bastian picked up the fuselage from aerotec in 1984 I believe and did the gear modification. It never had a bungee gear, never had bungee posts either. He apparently added the brace under the H tube and can't figure out why. It did have tail braces but they were lost because the airplane has been kicking around a single owners hangar since 1989.

I got a lot of work done today, forgot to take pictures but coming together nicely! Got the Tailwheel on for ease of movement, assembled the torque tube assembly, got it installed, all the push rods to the elevator installed, new hookers installed, heel trays, and throttle and trim handle installed. I'll post pictures in the next post!

f18shack and Jean-luc like this.
  9. Jun 7, 2017 #9

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Waiting for the pics

10. Jun 8, 2017 #10

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

I always did like "new Hookers" as opposed to "old Hookers". :rolleyes:

11. Jun 8, 2017 #11

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

Pictures for the previous post and more updates.

Today I loaded up my wings and drove them over to Steen Aerolab, about a 1 hour and 45 minute drive, 45 minute flight.. could be worse. As I stated above, Paul of Steen Aerolab will be assisting me on my wing build, providing it's my first go! Pretty excited. We got the wings out of the crate and out on a few buildings tables and eventually in a S-1 wing jig. I will be going back sometime next week, I hope to spend a few days a week to keep good progress.

Edit: Again, uploading from my phone. Sorry for the sideways pictures!

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

IMG_8883.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Jean-luc and smizo like this.
  12. Jun 9, 2017 #12

f18shack

f18shack

f18shack

f18shack Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice that you live close to Steen.

Acrobum likes this.
  13. Jun 9, 2017 #13

Hova

Hova

Hova

Supporting Member Supporting Member

You slap "Airplane Wings" on the back of the crate just to get the stares from people driving down the road?

I'm the one local guy with a one ton truck and a 22' flatbed trailer so I've hauled many airplane projects around for friends and love the looks I get doing 80 down the highway with a plane on my trailer. :D

14. Jun 11, 2017 #14

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

First real issue. Any ideas on how to get the flop tube out? It seems somebody modified the tank..

IMG_8919.jpg

IMG_8918.jpg

Dennis Flamini likes this.
  15. Jun 11, 2017 #15

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

You may have to return that tank to the stock configuration. I have no idea how they installed the flop tube in that tank from the pictures you posted.

16. Jun 12, 2017 #16

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Is that a threaded reducer bushing in there, looks like it is. If so remove the elbow and use a broken stud remover to remove bushing and dispose of the now useless reducing bushing.

17. Jun 12, 2017 #17

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Closer look, looks like a bushing installed from the inside out. I would still remove the elbow and use a square chisel drove in to the bushing and screw it on in to the tank. I have found you might still use the exsisting bung thread.

18. Jun 12, 2017 #18

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

Here's a better angle, the reducer is threaded in. I was thinking something along the line of a easy out or stud remover as well. Just curious to see if anybody has seen this done before?

IMG_8921.jpg

19. Jun 12, 2017 #19

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Looks to me like the bung was installed backwards -- a repair gone wrong??

20. Jun 12, 2017 #20

Acrobum

Acrobum

Acrobum

Other than the tank issue, today was very productive! I finished polishing my gear, modified my panel and got it wet sanded after already painted once but ran into some water from the compressor, and got the master cylinders cleaned up and rebuilt! Slowly but surely I'm making good progress.

As for the panel mod, a friend gave me a Pitts manifold/fuel flow gauge out of his S-1S. He removed it after the face let go but he built a new panel with a engine monitor. After being spoiled with a fuel flow gauge in my flying S-1 and since I had this one, I figured I'd try to fix it. Simpler than I would have expected. 4 screws on the back of the instrument and the whole unit pulled out of the case. A snap ring holds the face in place as well as silicone. So, out came the snap ring and cleaned up all of the old silicone, reapplied black silicone and snap ring, and put it all back together. So far it came out great! Cleaned the face really good too. The panel was very basic, I'll post a picture of the panel before I got ahold of it. I just had to move the G meter to place the manifold/fuelflow in its current hole. Plan on repainting the panel tomorrow.

I also made some gear modifications. The gear was clamped on like normal spring gear, but with rubber shims. Grove said this was a no no. Robbie suggested that I should make new shims out of .063 aluminum. I got all four made today. I started to get the gear all ready to reinstall only to remember I still had to paint the steel plates for the gear.. so I painted them before I left tonight. Should be able to go on tomorrow.

IMG_8916.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

IMG_6850.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Dennis Flamini likes this.