• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

O-290-D compression issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Trying to puzzle out compression issues on an O-290-D…

Checked the compression as part of the annual condition inspection last week. #2 & 3 were 70/80, but 1 & 4 were at 63. Can hear air escaping through the intake. A&P suggested maybe some crud under the intake valves to run it some more and check again, which I did last night after about 5 hours more running. This time I’m still getting 70 on #2 but the other three were around 40 (!). Second check was a different gauge set, but I can’t see it making that much difference unless it was failing to seal against the cylinder head. Tappet clearance is good (solid lifters on the 290-D), I just adjusted all to .007 a few days before the second check, and pulling the #4 valve cover off there’s still some small clearance even when hot so I don’t think that’s the issue. Engine starts and runs fine. At the last annual the compressions were all in the 68-72 range, I think there’s about 300 hours on the jugs. A&P suggests to run it some more, what’s the collective wisdom?

Latest posts

Back