• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

O-290-D L-1969-21 Ouestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all you engine guys I have several questions? Please chime in. I bought this engine several yrs ago from a friend here locally he was rebuilding Champions Citabira's and this engine came off of a Bellanca Scout. It is a certified engine and with impeccable log books from day one. It has 2035.7 hrs TT, and about 209.1 SMOH, but it had set for some time, about 10 yrs, as it was flown to Oshkosh and back in 2007 and although it had dryer plugs was never pickled. It also had the #1 cylinder replaced due to low compression, and never run after, as it was removed from the scout for a bigger engine.

I had hoped it would be good to go with out a lot of work? With the accessory housing and oil pan off what I could see looked good, but as most suggested I should remove at least one cylinder so I could look at the cam and lifters, and although at first glance it looked serviceable, some of the cam lobes and lifters seemed to be discolored and did not have the polished look that others did, so I pulled another cylinder, and low and behold one, only one lifter was badly spalled, and apparently had been that way for some time?!

So splitting the case was the next order of business and a new or yellow tag cam along with lifters is now in order. The engine looks good really pretty clean inside, no case fretting and even the main bearings and crankshaft journals look good. Also there was no metal chips in the upper or lower screens, nor was their any evidence of metal inside the case or in the residual oil. But when turning the engine on the stand with all the plugs out before removing the cylinders it seemed to be stiff/tight, and not free like one would expect?
So after the case was split the shaft still did not want to turn easy in one of the case half's?

Once the crank was removed it became apparent that the oil slinger flange was, and or had been galling in the front of the case!

I was able to clean off the galled aluminum from the back side and polish the the slinger area, (Pictures enclosed) But not sure I can do the same with the case? It would be a shame to send the case in and have it overhauled for just this, but I am not sure what else to do? I have not seen this before, on the engines I have worked on?

So my question is what caused it? Was it some of the metal from the spalled lifter? Or what? inquiring minds what to know?

Thanks to all you engine guys in advance if you care to comment, my engine guy is visiting his daughter in CA and wont be back for a week or so.

Jim Stanton, whats your take on this based on your experience? Dave

SAM_2928 small.jpg

SAM_2933 small.jpg

SAM_2936 small.jpg

SAM_2939 small.jpg

SAM_2940 small.jpg

SAM_2922 small.jpg

Latest posts

Back