• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

O-290 oil cooler adapter / screen / filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the oil system components on the O-290-D on my Hatz. On their "Understanding Oil" web page, Lycoming says:

"Some airframe manufacturers have utilized small engine models without an oil cooler. At the request of these airframe manufacturers, these engines are not machined to accommodate an oil cooler. Individuals who acquire these engines for use in their home-built aircraft may need an oil cooler to keep temperatures within operating limits. This can be accomplished by utilizing an adapter—Lycoming part number 62418. Utilization of this adapter will allow the engine to be used and the oil to be cooled, but there are limitations. An oil filter cannot be installed, and only the one-hole pressure screen housing can be used. This limits the system to use as a spring-controlled oil cooler bypass valve which is installed in the adapter."

It looks like I have such an engine, with a 61344 accessory case and the 62418 oil cooler adapter. But, I do in fact have the two hole 69510 oil screen housing, which Lycoming says can't be used. I have not removed the big plug on the top of the adapter (62417) to see if there is a relief valve spring and plunger underneath it nor am I certain whether there's a thermostatic bypass valve installed in the back of the oil screen housing... I think there was something inside the oil screen, it didn't extend all the way through it, but I wasn't looking at or for it specifically. There must be one or the other as oil pressure is good and the engine has been operating in this configuration for a a long time.

I got interested in this because I was wondering about adding a spin-on oil filter, but I'm not clear if it's possible with my configuration... or whether it would be worth the effort if it IS possible.

1590321019736.png

Latest posts

Back