• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

O-290 questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
A couple of questions about the O-290-D in my new to me Hatz…

The engine is a -D and not a -D2 so it has the solid lifters. The operator’s manual talks about checking/adjusting the valve clearance and gives the specs but nowhere can I find anything saying how often it’s supposed to be done? On my half VW powered plane I did it at each oil change (25 hours) but of course that’s a different engine. I didn’t see any mention of it being done during any of the recent condition inspections.
The engine has roughly 500 hours SMOH but the jugs were replaced sometime during that period, I don’t have the logbook handy to look up the actual time when that was done.

Next question is about props and rpm. I’m getting about 2500 rpm at full throttle during a 60kt climb, seems it should be more? Unless it has a cruise prop? 2300 rpm gives me an indicated 70kts in level flight (with round cables instead of streamline wires my Hatz is draggier than most). I’m not certain of what the prop is, I haven’t taken it off to look at it and the only note in the aircraft documentation (a piece of paper listing various part numbers, not the logbook) says 74-52 but I’m not sure if that’s what’s actually on the plane as there’s also a mention of a wood prop number (the prop on the plane is metal).

Latest posts

Back