• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

o320 oil sump screen ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys forgive my ignorance but I come from a 2 stroke rotax and 4 stroke jabiru knowledge base and have little knowledge of the lycomings. I just changed the oil for the first time in my eaa biplane with the o320. My plane has the inverted oil system which I am not very familiar with. I have a braided hose coming out of a fitting towards all the plumbing for the inverted system and I think it is coming from where the sump pickup screen should be. It is larger than the other two line fittings on either corner of the sump and it is directly in front (toward the prop) of the carburetor. Would I still have the screen in the sump behind this fitting with the hose attached, or would it have been removed when the fitting and hose were put in? All I can find are pictures of the screen held in place with a plug in that location. It is an older model engine and I do not remember the exact designator but I believe it to be an A3b ??? Anyway it would be a bit more labor to get this all off (disconnect a hose to disconnect the elbow and fitting going into the sump) to check the screen, so I won't do it until my next oil change. I just thought it would be more readily identifiable from what I have seen and read on the internet. I have found instructions of it possibly being parallel to the base of the sump going in from the rear of the sump, but cannot find that on my engine . I have also found it to be perpendicular to the base of the sump in front of the carb held in with a plug (which is where I have that fitting and hose). Any help and or explanation of the inverted system would be helpful.
Thanks Mark

Latest posts

Back