• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

oil breather tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score

I am looking for any information concerning the oil breather line from the Christen oil separator. From pics it looks like builders have used aluminum tube or aeroquip hose. I assume aluminum tube is lighter.

First question is what size tube?

Second, in Scott Rodriguez gallery, he has photos of a Christen Eagle aluminum blowby exit tube he built for his plane. Seems pretty slick. Scott or anyone, can you tell us how you made it? Here is a link to the photo-
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=58&pos=4

On Yellowbird, there is an opening in front of the tailwheel for the blowby tube to exit. That link is here-
http://www.biplaneforumgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=22&pos=19
I had thought this might be a good exit for cooling cockpit air to exit the plane as well. For cooling air to come in it seems you would need an exit path other than leaks. I suppose the downside is this is an easy path for bees or other insects to enter your plane. Any opinions?

cheers,
Jim

Edited by: JimW

Latest posts

Back