• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil Consumption During Aerobatics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenAgeAir

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been flying the Eagle as much as I can now. It seems like it is using too much oil. It is not burning it, it looks like it is going out the breather. The more outside or inverted work I do the more oil it goes through. I've been told that a quart an hour should be normal. I had a hour flight yesterday that used over three quarts. I'm in the process of changes the oil separator out. I'll have that done tomorrow and will fly it again.

How much oil are other airplanes going through during acro?

How are the majority of oil systems plumbed? Mine has a Tee in the breather line that goes to the three way valve and the oil separator. The Christen manual shows them separate. A fitting attached at an accessory pad to the three way valve and the breather line direct to the separator. What's better?

The other weird thing going on is an apparent fuel starvation. Over the last few weeks I have had momentary shut downs of the engine. Rolling inverted to upright and more common on the down side of a hammer head. The first thought I had was the flop tube. Like an idiot I didn't change it while the tank was out. I started to remove the tank and found that was going to be a nightmare. I built a ship in a bottle instead. With a lot of homemade tooling I changed the flop tube through the filler neck. The old tube was pretty stiff. During yesterdays flight it stopped again coming out of the hammer head. Only once but that was enough. I was almost full on fuel. Even the long fuel lines and a lack of a boost pump. Any thoughts? Does this happen to anyone else?

Love the airplane though. My 14 year old daughter was up with me yesterday. She has a lot of flying experience for her age and she said it was the best ride she has ever had.

Thanks,
Paul

Latest posts

Back