oil cooler and stuff

Discussion in 'Ultimate' started by frank hughes, Feb 8, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 8, 2018 #1

frank hughes

frank hughes

frank hughes

Registered Users Supporting Member

hy guys! i made a swap after few probs with my engine,.... i baught aeio-390 from lycoming thunderbolts shop! i was wondering what oil cooler will be the best any pitts,eagle, ultimate rider with a aeio-390?

i will send you guys pics soon!

2. Feb 8, 2018 #2

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

We have an Eagle locally with an IO-390. The Eagle uses an 11 row oil cooler I believe, so that is the smallest that I would use. Maybe an Aero Classics 10611R or even a 10614R.

Best of luck,

Wes

frank hughes likes this.
  3. Feb 8, 2018 #3

frank hughes

frank hughes

frank hughes

ok good 10614R i check out for that on aircraft spruce,.. any big difference with the dual pass? more efficient or less?
    all time oil temps go up it`s normaly when im slow and full throtle,...so im pretty sure that the airflow means a lot ,.. but my ex set up was with 2 oil cooler but im sure the circulation was an issue with some time more then 220 degres ,... i will be happy to stay under 200 or pretty near that in aerobatic mode,..

4. Feb 8, 2018 #4

garyg

garyg

garyg

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am going with a dual-pass as it smaller and everything I read about the specs says it is every bit as good as a much bigger single pass cooler.

frank hughes likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2018 #5

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I am not a thermodynamicist. What I observe is that all of the small GA airplanes that I look at use single pass oil coolers with lots of air flow through them. I suspect that this is because there are usually not space issues and the complexity of the dual pass units comes with a significant cost increase (at least in Aircraft Spruce pricing).

In theory, you should be able to use a smaller dual pass cooler than a single pass. That said, I see a note by Airflow Systems, one of the manufacturers listed at Aircraft Spruce that says Go up one size for piston squirters, cold air induction, aerobatic and/or float plane applications".

So unless you can do the heat transfer calculation for the application, you might want to stick with the type of cooler that everyone else uses. The less "experimental" your build is, the less stress at the end of the project. Which is to say, pick where you want to be experimental judiciously.

Best of luck,

Wes

frank hughes likes this.
  6. Feb 8, 2018 #6

DrunkenWoodpecker

DrunkenWoodpecker

DrunkenWoodpecker

Registered Users

how much do they charge for it? any compatibility issues when swapping? are dimensions the same as the angle valve io-360?

frank hughes likes this.
  7. Feb 8, 2018 #7

garyg

garyg

garyg

Wes,

They use a 9 row dual bypass on the aztec (both turbo and non-turbo) and they have piston coolers, of course non of the other features. I didnt see much of a price difference between them. I know Pacific Oil Coolers said, when I asked that they never saw a Aztec have an oil temp problem and said I would be ok. Over on the RV web site is there is a 10 page long post about dual pass (someone has posted here as well) that is an interesting read. If I could find more room, I might go bigger but I am not sure where it would go. I was just suggesting it as an equivalent if room is tight.

frank hughes likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2018 #8

frank hughes

frank hughes

frank hughes

lol,
    they charge me around 61000 canadian all fees include tax, transport and more,..
    and i supposed the installation will be near the same size but im not here yet,...
    i guess i will see this in few hours ! i will let you know for sure! ;)

garyg likes this.
  9. Feb 9, 2018 #9

Neil

Neil

Neil

The 390 is considerably wider than the angle valve 360. I put one in a Glasair and had to widen the cowling a couple of inches.

10. Feb 9, 2018 #10

frank hughes

frank hughes

frank hughes