• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

oil coolers - Setrab/Mocal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr107flyer

Reaction score
Posting this as I found many posts on the various forums that helped me but not much on the use of Setrab/Mocal coolers.

I changed a few things recently going from fixed pitch to CS prop and new carbon cowls.
The 7row aero classics cooler was in the front left baffle and used to work well. Not since the changes. I moved it to the aft left baffle and it was better but not good enough and I didn’t want to leave it there as the amount of aerobatics I do I know the baffle would crack.

I wanted a bigger cooler and mounted on the engine frame or firewall. The problem was lack of space. I could fit a 13row on the firewall with almost a 90 bend in the scat. It will not fit on the frame.

I did a basic test using 4” scat and discovered that the air reaching the cooler if the scat has to bend 90degrees is nothing like the flow with a direct shot of air.
I found some photos of the installation in Extra 330sc and Pitts with the cooler on the engine frame just behind the rear baffle.
I looked at Setrab/Mocal oil coolers (Mocal here in the UK) and found a 16 row that is very light compared to the Aviation types and not as bulky. They do a heavy duty version tested to higher pressure but I was concerned as they don’t seem to be too common in aircraft.
Then I happened upon the maintenance manual for the XA41/42 Extreme aerobatic aircraft. It uses two 13 row Setrab oil coolers ! So I reasoned if it’s good enough for that certified aerobatic wonder plane it’s good enough for me.
I found I could fit it on the frame and make a short duct to the aft baffle.
So far it’s working very well, too well so I need to blank it off a little but when the summer comes I think it will be fine.
I realise there are other ways to achieve this but I think I found a good lightweight solution and hope this info is useful for others

Cooler mounted to engine frame.
0DAE985C-BD7F-4624-99EB-55FBB36BA3BD.jpeg
A14793EE-8223-4AD8-AA68-CFB28CAB2700.jpeg
0A377DE5-46BA-4E52-8B3D-464299E1E686.jpeg

XA41 has one Mocal 13 row each side
07072CDC-E5D5-4205-8B41-8DA193461375.jpeg

Baffle mounted original aeroclassics cooler
A6EC0A1B-B969-4D73-A8AA-5C34328EF0DC.jpeg

The new prop
D2D0341D-631C-4CC7-8F25-E98371AA2657.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts