• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil flow to the coolers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustrpilot

Reaction score

I have been plagued with oil problems on my S1C. Originally, my 0320a had a oil screen housing with a vernatherm installed. Everything would be good until the oil temp got toaround 180, then the oil pressure would start fluctuating from 85 down to 30 or so, rapidly. The engine has less than 20 hours on it since overhaul, so I asked my engine builder what might be going on and he suggested that it could be I needed to do away with the vernatherm housing and just go with an oil screen housing. That stopped the oil pressure fluctuations, but the oil temp was now higher than I thought it should be, so I added another oil cooler and installed an additional air outlet on each side of the cowling. Today I flew for about 20 minutes with an OAT of about 65 degrees and got an oil temp of 230! I landed at the duster strip I fly from to investigate and discovered both oil coolers were cool to the touch, but the oil screen housing and oil sump was very hot,making me think I don't have any oil circulation thru the oil coolers. Any ideas as to what might be going on?
Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Back