• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil pressure drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryM

Reaction score
"In reference to the "T" fitting on the breather I don't recommend that set up unless you have no other choice. It takes too long for the oil to get to inverted side of the ball valve. The best place to pick up oil in the lycoming engine, while inverted, is at the VAC pad. There are other diagrams that show the vac pad as the location. When I switched over to picking my oil up at the vac pad I have just a flicker of oil pressure drop when rolling inverted. When on the "T" fitting it can be as much as 3-5 sec. I don't know about you but I want oil to my engine as close to all the time as possible"

With regard to the less than + G pressure drop.... is everyone with the T fitting setup experiencing that 3-5 sec time? I noticed late last fall that my oil pressure was dropping to about 20 psi with less than 1 G. before picking up. I thought it was a combination of cold and balls needing cleanning. I hadn't really noticed it before to compare. Idk if I got more observant, or the pressure started to drop enough for me to notice. OATs still haven't warmed up yet, and I haven't cleaned the balls yet. Though its always good to maintain the system, after reading the above, I wonder if I am chasing the wind....?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back