• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil pressure fluctuating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustrpilot

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas here. I have 2 hours on my S1C since refurb. Finally decided everything was on to stay, so I ventured off to try some acro and to test out the new inverted system. All was well until the oil temp went over 180, then I started getting a large oil pressure variations. The oil pressure gauge is electric (Vans) and on the first flight it needed a differant ground and flucuated, but I have a light wired to a pressure switch and it stayed out. On this flight, after the temp passed 180 though, the light was illuminating! It's a very brief interuption, but still!
This was happening before the rebuild, and frankly was the big reason I took it out of service for the rebuild. While it was down and the engine was removed, I installed a new "Verna-therm". The engine is an O-320A, about 12 hours since O/H. All hoses for the oil system are new as well as the oil cooler. The cooler is mounted on the forward baffle on the left side. New, complete, Christen inverted system plumbed thru a B-C vacum adapter. No leaks, weird noises or smells while all of this was going on and none of the temps ever went high. In fact the oil temp never got to 200 and cylynder temp was around 350.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike Taylor

Latest posts

Back