• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Oil Seperator Wanted

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a compact oil separator for my Marquart Charger.

If someone has one used that they can sell, or recommend one of another manufacturer I would appreciate it. There are several other styles available, but I don't know one from the other and would value some input on the different models. Here is a link.

This one is simply too large for a place on my firewall.

Thanks,
Glenn

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
Glen:
Are you trying to make an inverted system, or control blow by?
If inverted:
Try to find one from a factory Pitts, 1971 to about 1974, or whenever they started using AEIO engines. They were made in-house and had a flat back side, and not as round as the Christen ones?
Also, check with Doug Dodge, as I think he makes something smaller?

Jerry

Last edited:

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is just for blow by collection to route back to an oil scavenge line.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You could make one, there's not much to them if the system isn't for fully inverted flight.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any plans available? Cut away drawings ? Principle of operation? Anything that would help me design and build one?

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have anything to show but a brief description would go something like this;

The breather line from the engine connects to the separator through fitting that is tangent to the inside wall of the volume. Lets say the volume in this case is a can that is round with a flat top and a funnel-shaped bottom. As the engine breathes through the separator any oil in the stream contacts the inside of the can and the oil sticks to the surface. The air exits the can through a standpipe in the center of the volume. The bottom of the can has a drain that connects back to the engine case, gravity causing the oil to flow back into the engine case during normal flight. The location of the return port on the engine should not be below the oil level in the sump as this would allow oil to flow into the separator through the return line.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The too big $49 one is the one that came with my project. I installed it but have only taxied with it about .2 hr.

Routed return into old paint can/slop pot for now. Tie wrap has been replaced with hose clamp.

GEDC3550 (800x600).jpg

GEDC3549 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
"This one is simply too large for a place on my firewall"

It doesn't have to be on the firewall.

TFF1

Reaction score
If you make one, you can put scrubber plates in there. Disks with slots, each clocked a little different to help precipitate the oil. Don't restrict the crankcase breathing, don't have it so small to not catch the oil, and make sure it will drain back in the crankcase.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Airwolf makes some nice ones...

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is mounted on the engine mount. Don't mind the mess, maid hasn't cleaned the wiring up yet:

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1433017954.721682.jpg

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Found this...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJuQfEhwYk[/ame]

Latest posts