• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Oil temperature question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS1361

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an O-540 on my Skybolt that was running very high pressure/low temp when I bought it. I did some research Lycoming video that indicates Lycomings like the oil to be around 180 in cruise so I made appropriate adjustments. Everything was settled and well within the green. Next I went from a 2 blade McCauley to a 3 blade Catto and my oil temp dropped about 50 degrees. I again lowered the oil pressure to get more temp but ran out of adjustment.

Currently, at 2200 RPM I'm showing 70 lbs oil pressure and only 165 degrees oil temp. I'm assuming the Catto being 3 blades and much more aggressive at the blade root (as well as 20 mph cruise increase) moves a lot more air = more cooling. Is there any reason not to partially block one or both oil coolers air flow? I'd like to find the combination that allows me to get the oil pressure back up to 80-90 lbs with a temp of about 180.

The oil temp indicating system has been checked and is accurate. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Latest posts

Back