• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

On the construction of adjustable rudder pedals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In my recent experience of jumping in planes and trying them on for size, it's become obvious to me that one thing a durable, multi-owner-friendly plane should have is adjustable rudder pedals.

The simplest way to do this is already provided for in the Charger plans, as shown on the attached snippet (from Sheet 18, if you want to follow along at home). However, the provided half inch of adjustment seems a bit minimal to me. I'd like to see more like 3" of adjustment (granted, it's a bit more than half an inch once you move out the lever to the actual pedal, but you get where I'm going with this).

The question is, can I safely just make plates -815 and -817 longer and add some more holes? It seems like I can, but presumably the interaction with the brake master cylinder may complicate things.

I am seriously considering making the brakes only available in the rear seat, so as to avoid any inadvertent landing surprises from passengers with poorly placed feet. This would also reduce weight, as well as reducing complications when making a more widely adjustable pedal.

It looks to me like a simple modification. What am I missing?

rudder-pedal.jpg

Latest posts

Back