• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Open Cockpit Comms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFSOJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As CFSOJ is showing her age in some respects, I am finding that reception issues are creeping in and deteriorating with each flight I do (Garbled, static and strength 3 at the moment but was clear and 5 previously), the transmission is still good with local ATC reporting me at strength 5. I am using an ICOM A200 radio and an AVCOMM A–2M/S, portable intercom. I am also using David Clark 10-13, with a decent wind cover.

I’ve tried to find the specs on this older intercom model, to see if it is suitable for a high-noise environment, I would love to put a canopy on SOJ, however there other issues with the regulator to sort out. I was thinking of modernizing a bit and replacing the AVCOMM with a Sigtronics 23N or SP400N, along with a set of Sigtronics S-68 headsets. I had thought of the MGL radios, Microair or Becker, however I haven’t come across much info regarding their use in open cockpits. Trig radios seem to be gaining favour these days, however, there again, very little discussion regarding high-noise environments.

My question is, what are folks without canopies using in their aircraft?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Attachments

• A46CDBB7-F672-4760-B780-E35FAA1B99DB.jpeg
    A46CDBB7-F672-4760-B780-E35FAA1B99DB.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back