• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Opinion on hairline crack on front spar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, as mentioned in a previous post, I am embarking on a almost ground up Eagle II build. I am close to mixing glue and jumping in with both feet after setting up my shop and doing a number of dry assembly rehearsals for joining the upper wing spars.

One of the upper wing front spars has a hairline crack on one side (front-side) which initially I discounted as not worrying about, but then started thinking about possible future ramifications. While I intend to also get an "in-person" consultation, I am including a couple pictures of the suspected area to see what others' opinion might be on using it versus ordering a new one from Aviat (ouch - although rather do it now than later!).

Here are some pictures. You can see where the previous owner tried to wick some CA glue into the crack. I talked to another person and they thought doing that (possibly having a vacuum on the other side) would do the trick. The crack does not go through to the other side. The two spars join and some of the crack is sandwiched with the joining plates, but as you can see it does go further towards the alignment pin holes which is outside of the sandwich. The crack is not continuous although the glue smudges kind of make it appear to be that way.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

Latest posts

Back