• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Opinions Please - Gouge in spar attach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

Just wanted your opinions. I was just filing and finishing the edges of my rear spar attach brackets before drilling. I noticed a random gouge in the metal. No idea how I did it. I have marked it bottom left in the red box. What you see is the rear spar forward and aft brackets prior to drilling and welding. I almost scrapped it, but wondered if I could sand it out, which I am able to do though it is not perfect. Question is do I scrap it and start again?? The spar attach brackets are my first pieces I am making. I have completed the front ones, but dont want to take the easy way out given this is likely going to bear some load. I remember reading in my build preparation not to have any lines or marks (not using a scribe for any markings that will remain). Will it compromise integrity?

What do you think? Scrap or continue?

IMG_1571.jpg

Latest posts

Back